Certification is a procedure with which a non-governmental agency provides recognition to an individual, in this case, a pharmacy technician, after he qualifies a pre-requisite exam or qualification set by an independent agency. One of the most popular agencies that provide the pharmacy technician certification to aspiring technicians is called the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board, often referred as the PTCB.
Pharmacy Technician Certification Board
The PTCB was established in the year of 1995 and is run by a group of leading pharmacy agencies namely The American Pharmacists Association, The American Society of Health-System Pharmacists, Illinois Council of Health-System Pharmacists, The National Association of Boards of Pharmacy and The Michigan Pharmacists Association.
These five agencies basically govern the entire PTCB, a nationwide certification program, help individuals to work more efficiently and become more competent pharmacy technicians. In other words, it ensures that their knowledge is sufficient enough to provide proficient health care with its PTCB examination.
The PTCB examination is not only conducted to determine an individual’s skills, knowledge and expertise essential to be a professional pharmacy technician, but also to allow him to have a long-term career in the pharmacy industry. How? Well, in order to pass the PTCB exam, one needs to study a lot and these efforts can help him become a master at it, which in turn helps him sustain his job.
Advantages of Obtaining a Pharmacy Technician Certification
There are numerous advantages of having the PTCB certification including:
- It is a national-level certification program that makes individuals to be recognized as a professional pharmacy technician.
- With the intense training and learning one goes through to clear the certification examination, he will be able to perform well at his job and provide quality patient care.
- With a valid pharmacy technician certification, one holds better chances of securing jobs and getting promoted at workplaces compared to non-certified technicians.
- One can create an amazing impression on the pharmacists they work for with the learning acquired while preparing for the examination.
How to Apply for Pharmacy Technician Certification?
The PTCB exam application is accepted throughout the year and pharmacy technicians can take the test at any of their local Pearson Professional Center. For registration, one can log on to PTCB and pay the application fees via credit card. Once this is done, candidates will receive an ATT (Authorization to Test) letter that describes the entire examination procedure including scheduling, pre-requisites, etc.
Then it all depends on the candidate’s preparation and hard work.
Now, while it is not that hard to pass the examination and get certified, it does require your attention to maintain it. Yes, that’s right! If you fail to follow the general PTCB guideline, your certification can be revoked. Some of those reasons that it can be revoked are:
- Conviction of felony
- Unethical behavior that can threaten the patient’s complete health and safety.
- Confrontation to violation against any of the policies or regulations State Board of Pharmacy.
- Including incorrect information or statements while appearing for the certification examination.
- Failing to provide true information during investigation.
- Provision of insufficient documentation required for the PTCB to maintain the certification.
To sum up, acquiring and maintaining a pharmacy technician certification from PTCB is not rocket science; it is all about getting relevant information, working hard to pass it and following the rules & regulations. Simple!